Some Data Backed Commentary in the midst of this week's Blather about the Iphone

ATT has a 5 YEAR deal ... pretty major.

It's posible (my theory) that quite a bit can be upgraded and tweaked
with software updates rather than a hardware re-sell.  You have to buy
a 2 yr contract and it's currently only EDGE capable, but it
apparently auto-detects and auto-switches to known wifi when it sees
them which is pretty awesome.