Choice of Programming Languages

On 4/26/07, Alan Williamson <alan at blog-city.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your all input.
>
> Python while sounds to be the route, is hampered by the fact one would
> have to ask the user to install the runtime first of all --- which
> really does add a layer of complexity to distribution.   Is there plans
> on making Python part of the core system?

Python is being used more and more... it's now part of official
distribution yet, but it's in repository.maemo.org, which most users
have, so should be easy to be installed, and many people installed it
for one reason or another, like Carman, Konttori media player, ...
even Canola will provide python plugins (I hope).

> Does the C++/C libraries have the ability to access the core menu
> features of the N800?  For example, the ability to put an icon in the
> top bar; or even add a custom 'applet' to the home page?

Yes, this is documented on maemo.org, developers section.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
Jabber: barbieri at gmail.com
   MSN: barbieri at gmail.com