Choice of Programming Languages

Hi,

ext Marius Gedminas wrote:
>>> About UI, if you want simple interfaces to automatize process, and
>>> that should be the main need for Maemo right now, due limited input
>>> and interaction with device, you can try to use my wrapper around
>>> toolkits (it's just GTK now, but can/will be extended), it's also
>>> available for Maemo (doing Hildon stuff).
>> Maybe it's a silly thought, but what about doing the UI stuff in
>> javascript within a browser window?
>
> Users don't like it.
>
> Well.  I'm a user and I don't like it.  The browser is just too
> sluggish.

Why JavaScript would be slower than the other interpreted languages
like Python, Perl etc?

Upside is that one can easier use whatever graphics one wants, the code
can be tested on desktop and it works like that on the device. Downside
is that it doesn't conform to the device UI style, starting Browser
for it is very slow (but only in case one doesn't have it already
running) and it cannot access services on the device.

	- Eero