From: maemo-users-bounces at maemo.org [mailto:maemo-users-bounces at maemo.org]
On Behalf Of Frantisek Dufka
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 1:18 AM
To: Dr. Nicholas Shaw
Cc: maemo-users at maemo.org
Subject: Re: IT OS 2007 v.3 Upgrade

Dr. Nicholas Shaw wrote:
> - I don't get a similar statement on a Palm device when I install non-Palm
> software (it's an OS, people install software).
> - I don't get a similar statement on a Windows mobile device when I
install
> non-Windows software.
> - I don't get a similar statement on my cell phone when I install
non-vendor
> software.
>
> Thus, what makes the tablet different?

I think it is slightly different since in all those examples you have
simple way to recover because the basic system is in ROM and undamaged
and you can do 'hard reset' clearing RAM and system boots. On the tablet
you can remove/break even system files since they are mixed with user
stuff in same filesystem. The only way to recover is to flash device
over USB cable which is a bit harder and you need to download firmware
and flasher. So all those devices are self-repairing, nokia tablet is
not. I'm not sure this make some legal difference but technically there
is such difference.

Frantisek