Nokia 770 will not power on after standby

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 01:23:38PM -0500, ktneely at astroturfgarden.com wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 12:35:50PM -0500, Acadia Secure Networks wrote:
> > I don't have any answers but I just yesterday I reported to this
> > list a similar problem on the N800 requiring removal/re
> > installation of the battery to "unbrick" the device.
>
> I read those posts and the behavior was definitely similar, but I
> thought that p[erhaps my problem was a bit more "passive".  Inother
> words, I did nothing other than place the cover on the device.
>
> Also, mine is a 770.  I forgot to mention that it is the second to
> latest OS flash.  I cannot remember the exact numbers.

There were three versions of OS2006.  So you have OS2006.2.

> I hope something can be done about this, because the batttery trick is
> a relatively savvy maneuver.  Most people I know would not be able to
> do this.  If it were their iPod, for example, they would call it
> broken and take it to the Apple store.  This behavior is one of the
> things that go through my mind, and a warning I give when I show off
> my 770 and recommending it to friends.

My 770 spontaneously reboots every now and then, but never turns itself
off.  (I habitually charge it every night.  Well, used to, before I got
a N800).

My mother sometimes has problems turning on her 770.  I hold the power
button for a few seconds, release it, and it boots fine.  There appears
to be a trick to it: if you hold the power button too short, it won't
come up; if you hold it too long, it won't power on either.  Sometimes
it seemed that I had to plug in a charger to get it to see the power
button presses, and I usually attributed that to an empty battery.

My N800 appears to be very stable.  It rebooted once (lifeguard reset
due to crashed dsp_dld).

Interesting: /var/lib/dsme/stats/lifeguard_resets claims I had three
reboots (due to dsp_dld, maemo_af_desktop and dnsmasq).  I never noticed
the other two.

Marius Gedminas
--
Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot.