N800 as a Business Productivity Tool

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 12:17:31PM -0500, Acadia Secure Networks wrote:
> many of the router and 802.11 access point products with which I
> work are designed around the assumption that the predominant, and,
> in most cases, the only method of effecting remote (i.e. via the
> TCP/IP stack as opposed to a serial port) management is via http

Ahh, I made the mistake of thinking you meant something like a Cisco Catalyst of Juniper router, or managed switches.  The IT does seem pretty ideal for quick and dirty management of those consumer-end devices you mention.  In fact, I should try it next time I needto configure one!

> Regarding the mail client I believe Nokia has to fix this, and do
> so sooner as opposed to later. For business use,  email is still
> the "killer" data app (somewhat to my surprise that it is still so
> after all these years) and for Nokia to have missed the opportunity

Agreed.  I went ahead and tried the Gmail Docs and spreadsheets, and it did not work: would not accept the browser version.  I think that would be the ideal solution, since the IT will be hard-pressed to keep up with the data storage requirements of many users' e-mail usage.  It could be done with large flash cards, but seems easier just to let Google handle all the data.  Assuming you don't mind that they have it.

I also tried to install Gnumeric, as I liked what I saw on my XUbuntu installationn.  No dice, it just failed without an error.

In Vino Veritas
http://astroturfgarden.com