[maemo-users] [maemo-announce] New OS 2006 firmware released

Hi,

ext James Sparenberg wrote:
>> (this is not an official comment on anything, just my personal opinions)
>>
>> ext Gavin O' Gorman wrote:

>> I think some of the reasons are:
>> - Licence restrictions
>> - Hardware changes between the devices and dependencies on these
>> - API changes between the different releases (sometimes just reflecting
>>    the different hardware, sometimes for other reasons). You can read
>>    more on this from here:
>>    http://maemo.org/maemowiki/Os2007On770
>> - Supporting mixing and matching of different package versions
>>    would explode the (already very large) required testing effort.
>
> Why I'm curious do you think this would be any worse than dealing with Debian
> in the desktop world?  debs are very capable of handling this kind of
> conflict, for example you couldn't using apt install an amd64 compiled deb
> onto a x86 compiled OS.

Yes, that is right.

If you read the list above carefully and with thought, surprise,
you'll notice that the package management is not listed as a problem...

>>    - If you really want to upgrade (a small subset of the components) to
>>      the very latest versions, you can do that using the development etc
>>      repositories (sardine/herring/bora etc). However, this is not
>>      supported for obvious reasons and you *will* need to reflash your
>>      device occasionally *when* (not if) things break
>
> In my case there are things I'd remove rather than mix and match.  In short
> freeing up room for things I do want.

Nothing should be preventing you from removing packages. Just use dpkg
etc like you would do on Debian.  See Maemo wiki for more information on
how to get root.

If you accidentally remove something you would still need (which is not
in the Maemo repositories), you will need to reflash the device to
get it back though. And I guess removing or adding packages voids
your warrantly (because those configurations are not tested).

	- Eero