[maemo-users] Some Thoughts Regarding IT OS 2007 and the N800

On Monday 29 January 2007 02:29:05 am Riku Voipio wrote:
> James Polley wrote:
> > Do you have a solution for me?
>
> You could just set LC_TIME=de_DE (or whatever timeformat you prefer) in
> some enviroinment file sourced at startup. /etc/osso-af-init/locale is
> the place
> locales are read now, but if you ever change regional settings after that,
> your change to that file will get overwritten.
>
> >> I do not see this as something that would be high enough on our agenda
> >> right now.
> >>
>  > I don't see why this hasn't been done already. It's been done on
>  > everything else I own, even my phones.
>
> Do you have a Linux desktop?What do select to get a 24h locale there?
>
> > Perhaps it would help if you could give us some background on why you
> > feel this is such a hard problem to solve. It sounds as though there's
> > been plenty of internal discussion about this - perhaps if we
> > understood the background we'd be less upset, or perhaps even able to
> > offer some solutions.
>
> The device is just using normal Linux locales, I guess they don't want
> to clutter
> the regional settings screen with more settings.

Note that if you run date on either the Linux desktop on your full size system
or on the 770/n800 it's returns a 24 hour clock.

Mon Jan 29 18:24:39 PST 2007

Now depending on what clock program I run on my desktop (kde WM) I get either
a 12 hour or 24 hour output.  Kind of like what panel clock does.  It gives
24 hour output.  Even though clock doesn't.

James