[maemo-users] Re: os2006 frequent vfat badblocks

Hi,

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:00:00 -0800, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Thursday 25 January 2007 07:39, Levi Bard wrote:
[...]
> Levi,
>
>    I'm with you.  Using scp works a lot better than the USB cable.

The same thing happens to me. I'm using the WLAN to transfer large files because with _large_ files, over time it will just die with IO error.
when I keep the transfer size down, it works fine.
Funny enough, opera also has a bug with small debian-binary files, sometimes it will not really download them and in the end the installer will choke on a 0 byte file. Downloading it again helps. Weird.

> The real fun comes if you use the 770/n800 as a middle man between your laptop/desktop  and phone.  Create your own ringtones and backgrounds and load them right up.

I thought about that, but I'm not much of a phone extra stuff user apart from just using it for actually making phone calls ;) (read: too lazy)

> The heck with paying 1.99 for a 15 second capture, or someones bad anime  artwork. *grin*

Well, you have to give the cell phone carriers the credit for having the idea of selling ringtones in the first place. Who would have thought... ;)

> For even more "fun" use fuser

You mean FUSE (Filesystems in Userspace), I think?

> (to the developers, thanks you got it working faster than I could) then if you have openssh installed (windows, mac or Unix, I've tested windows and linux) you can mount a drive/dir of your desktop and use it as if it were a local drive.  Right at the moment I have a 770 that thinks it has 600GB of drive space, and I'm 40 miles away from the parent box.

Yeah, mounting is a nice concept :)
Too bad GNOME (and KDE) thought inventing their own incompatible layer would be fun. sigh.

Actually I looked into adding a nice mount manager to the Nokia 770 file manager somewhen (including ability to use fusermount), but I think the source code wasn't available back then? I wonder...

cheers,
  Danny