[maemo-users] Some Thoughts Regarding IT OS 2007 and the N800

On 1/26/07, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> On Fri Jan 26 15:43:41 2007, Andrew Flegg wrote:
> > Apart from the fact it should be user choice, the UK does *not* run
> > on 12 hour clocks.
>
> To be fair, the UK is spectacularly bizarre in most of these things,
> and hence runs on both.

Indeed, I was being pedantic in my use of language. Perhaps unfairly
given most of Nokia are presumably non-native English speakers (which,
99.9% of the time, you can never tell).

> Computers, and electronics generally, and timetables, tend to use
> 24-hour clocks, but people tend to use 12-hour - so we say delightful
> things like "The 19:54 train didn't arrive until eight o'clock" - and
> even better we won't think anything odd about it. We'll also see
> nothing remotely odd about a TV listing that shows the "Ten O'Clock
> News" at 22:00. But my children's bedtime is around 7, not 19:00.

We're an odd bunch. Similarly, we're mostly all metric. Except on the
roads. Or greengrocer's[1] in The Sun.

> I'd prefer to run the 770 in 24 hour, for what it's worth, but it's
> not a missing feature I'm all that up in arms about.

It's an annoyance, but being told that "the UK uses 12 hour clocks"
got my back up: we don't, *I* don't, and I'd like the choice in my
gadgets. I take Karoliina's point, but it's /really/ not that hard to
do, either technically or from a UI point of view.

The same intransigence seems to have come up a few times: you can only
complain about bugs in the implementation, not bugs in the design.

Cheers,

Andrew

[1] Sorry for the grammatical error, but the "greengrocers' apostrophe" was
    intentional, as they're a group renowned for their misuse of the
    smallest of punctuation marks ;-)

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew at bleb.org  |  http://www.bleb.org/