[maemo-users] app-manager crashes n770: bootreason 32wd_to

Hi Marius

On 05/12/06, Marius Vollmer <marius.vollmer at nokia.com> wrote:

> "ext Simon Oosthoek" <simon.oosthoek at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I've been seeing a lot of crashes lately, not just with the application
> > installer, but now I just reflashed the -39 release of IT2006 on my
> nokia770
> > and I get a crash during the downloading of the xterm package :-(
>
> Did it happen during the downloading, or during installation?  Does it
> happen reliably, i.e., every time you try to install xterm?

I didn't try that, but it happened again when I installed another "big"
package (>1MB). The crash happens during the download.

> From which repository did you install osso-xterm?  What other
> repositories did you have configured?

xterm came from repository.maemo.org mistral free
also I've configured
maemo extras and the fbreader repository
(the order was: extras, free (install xterm) fbreader)

(Basically, the repository landscape is f*cked up, and it is easy to

> get combinations of packages that don't work together, I think.)

Sounds bad :-(

> There is a watchdog, but I don't think it monitors CPU usage.  (A user
> process can not refuse to give the CPU back to the Linux kernel.)  The
> watchdog reboots the device when critical system processes die.

>From what I've read, it also kills when the CPU is hogged (sorry, can't find
the source right now, but it was an IRC log)
the command: ./flasher-2.0 --set-rd-flags=no-lifeguard-reset
seems to have stopped the crashes, but I'm not sure how safe this is...

> Of course, I'm also annoyed that this is happening because of the
> > use of a standard application, that just should not happen!
>
> Of course it should not happen! :-) But please understand that you are
> dealing with a pretty young system here and that we deliberately
> exercise basically no control over what packages people make available
> for the device.

I have understanding, but the opera browser, the application installer and
the lifeguard feature are all Nokia's, so they should work well together, at
least!
If fbreader or xterm or whatever crashes or even kills the OS, I accept that
as my risk, but the clean distro should perform the basic functions without
crashing on a file download.

Cheers

Simon

PS, I do appreciate the whole linux choice by Nokia and thus their kudos
haven't run out yet wih me ;-)