[maemo-users] app-manager crashes n770: bootreason 32wd_to

"ext Simon Oosthoek" <simon.oosthoek at gmail.com> writes:

> I've been seeing a lot of crashes lately, not just with the application
> installer, but now I just reflashed the -39 release of IT2006 on my nokia770
> and I get a crash during the downloading of the xterm package :-(

Did it happen during the downloading, or during installation?  Does it
happen reliably, i.e., every time you try to install xterm?

>From which repository did you install osso-xterm?  What other
repositories did you have configured?

(Basically, the repository landscape is f*cked up, and it is easy to
get combinations of packages that don't work together, I think.)

> If I understand the few comments I've seen on this, there's a
> watchdog program running and it kills the device when it's using too
> much CPU in one go (not releasing the CPU to the kernel so it can
> ping the watchdog).

There is a watchdog, but I don't think it monitors CPU usage.  (A user
process can not refuse to give the CPU back to the Linux kernel.)  The
watchdog reboots the device when critical system processes die.

> Of course, I'm also annoyed that this is happening because of the
> use of a standard application, that just should not happen!

Of course it should not happen! :-) But please understand that you are
dealing with a pretty young system here and that we deliberately
exercise basically no control over what packages people make available
for the device.