[maemo-users] 770 on the way

2006/12/4, Frantisek Dufka <dufkaf at seznam.cz>:

> Jonathan Matthews-Levine wrote:
> >
> > That was sort of my *point* :-)
> >
> > I was attempting (badly!) to make the point that the usual product
> > pattern for Nokia/SE/whoever - where they release some new,
> > interesting device and then release incremental/facelift upgrades
> > that'll support themselves through the artificially buoyed up market
> > of telco contracts - may not be very well suited to the full-price,
> > no-contract-available 770 upgrade.
>
> Are you from US? Because most people around me (and I guess generally in
> Europe) buy their phones themselves and not from mobile operator.
> Operators offer phones too, yes, but they are generally overpriced,
> outdated and the choice is limited. Maybe companies use this but for
> average person it does not make sense. Phones and cellular operators are
> different things. Or do you buy TV from your cable/TV operator? Also
> majority of people here (70%) use prepaid cards without contract and
> even have more such cards from different operators and swap them in one
> phone. Maybe mobile market is more competitive in Europe (or in my
> country)? I remember phones bought from operators were blocked in
> firmware to prevent using with other cellular networks but this is
> history too (maybe noone bought such phones?).
>
> So to sum it up I don't think such artifical market exist here or is too
> important and manufacturers can produce crappy phones because of this.
>
> Frantisek

As far as I know, here, in France, most of the phones are sold by operators
with contracts.

Well, I guess the N770, since it can't be sold with contracts, doesn't fit
their needs.
Anyway It would be cool if it could be sold in stores instead of nokia's
internet shop only. If people could try it before buying it, there'd be many
more sales. Everybody who put a hand on mine felt in love with it.

Joel