[maemo-users] 770 on the way

> That was sort of my *point* :-)
>
> I was attempting (badly!) to make the point that the usual product
> pattern for Nokia/SE/whoever - where they release some new,
> interesting device and then release incremental/facelift upgrades
> that'll support themselves through the artificially buoyed up market
> of telco contracts - may not be very well suited to the full-price,
> no-contract-available 770 upgrade.

Are you from US? Because most people around me (and I guess generally in
Europe) buy their phones themselves and not from mobile operator.
Operators offer phones too, yes, but they are generally overpriced,
outdated and the choice is limited. Maybe companies use this but for
average person it does not make sense. Phones and cellular operators are
different things. Or do you buy TV from your cable/TV operator? Also
majority of people here (70%) use prepaid cards without contract and
even have more such cards from different operators and swap them in one
phone. Maybe mobile market is more competitive in Europe (or in my
country)? I remember phones bought from operators were blocked in
firmware to prevent using with other cellular networks but this is
history too (maybe noone bought such phones?).

So to sum it up I don't think such artifical market exist here or is too
important and manufacturers can produce crappy phones because of this.

Frantisek

	As far as I know, here, in France, most of the phones are sold
by operators with contracts.

	Well, I guess the N770, since it can't be sold with contracts,
doesn't fit their needs.
	Anyway It would be cool if it could be sold in stores instead of
nokia's internet shop only. If people could try it before buying it,
there'd be many more sales. Everybody who put a hand on mine felt in
love with it.

	Joel

Hi there,

The internet shop is not the only point of sale. Nokia 770 does sell in
several retail chains, for example El Corte Ingles used to have them,
CompUSA seems to have them too and I even saw them on sale at airport in
Venice;-)  However they are not on offer in the usual mobile operator
stores, with the notable exception of the Nokia Flagship Stores (AFAIK).

Br,

--jakub