[maemo-users] 770 on the way

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 09:28:47PM -0800, Chris Louden wrote:
> Aside from making sure it has a good charge and general config whats
> the first thing I should do/install/upgrade?

There's no "should", but you may be interested in these:

 - Upgrade the OS version to 2.2006.39-14 if your device doesn't have it
   yet: http://europe.nokia.com/A4144790.  You can find out the version
   you have in the Control Panel.

 - Add the Maemo Garage repository to the Application Manager.  The
   details are at http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationRepositories
   Not every interesting package is there yet, so you may want to add
   some other repositories as well.

 - Install FBReader: the killer app for the 770, in my humble opinion.
   You can get free e-books from http://www.baen.com/library/, or buy
   DRM-less ones from http://www.webscription.net/.  There are other
   sources as well, it's just that I remember these two best.

 - Panel clock applet from: http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/files/n770/
   panelclock_0.5_armel.deb

 - CPU/Memory usage applet (load-applet) from the Maemo Garage
   repository.

 - SSH server and client: http://maemo.org/maemowiki/InstallSsh2006

 - Password Safe for keeping all those passwords you cannot remember

 - Create a swap file on the MMC card so the device doesn't run out of
   memory if you have three browser windows, an audio player, and an
   e-book open at the same time.  You can do that in the Control Panel.
   The downside is that if you enable swap, you can no longer use the
   USB cable for accessing the MMC card's contents conveniently from
   your laptop.  (I use wifi + sshfs instead, because I do not like
   cables anyway.)

> Is there anything that's not intuitive, or anything that is not very
> well documented that you can  suggest based on your experiences? What
> don't I know that I should know to make best use of the 770

Here's what I use my tablet for:

 - e-books (FBReader)
 - mp3 player while walking or driving (a universal car PDA holder is
   nice to have)
 - SSH client
 - web browser
 - password safe
 - GPS navigation device with Maemo Mapper and a Bluetooth GPS

I almost never use it for email (and when I do I prefer ssh + mutt) or
jabber/google talk.

> Can it transmit audio via the bluetooth?

No.

> Or would the only way to get
> audio to a headset be something like this
> http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/13149.jpg which has its own
> transmitter?

Currently, yes.  It is possible that a future OS upgrade will add
Bluetooth headset support, but don't hold your breath.

> My interests are using it to read web/gmail/rss,

Doable, not very convenient.  I sometimes use my 770 for web browsing
when I'm too lazy to pull out my laptop out of my backpack; that should
give you the relative estimation of the inconvenience ;)

> listen to mp3s,

No problem.

> and
> play basic games.

None of the available games hooked me so far, but then maybe I just lost
my passion for gaming.

> I've been quite infatuated with the 770 for some
> time.

I absolutely love it.

> I know its predecessor is just around the corner

I think you mean "successor".

I don't like what I see in the leaked pictures.  It's ugly.

> but I could not
> hold off any longer and ordered one. Should arrive by the end of the
> week with a 2GB RS-MMC.

You definitely want to upgrade to the 2.2006.39-14 OS version then.
Earlier ones didn't support 2GB cards.

I have a 1GB card, and so far it has been (barely) sufficient.

> I think it was the images I saw of the Canola
> project that made me decide I could no longer wait.

Marius Gedminas
--
Never attribute to malloc that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
        -- From the .sig of joerg at raleigh.ibm.com (Joerg Pommnitz)