[maemo-users] Next revision of 770 hardware - any idea when it will be available?

On 7/13/06, John B. Holmblad <jholmblad at aol.com> wrote:
>  Here by the way is the url to some recent commentary from Ari Virtanen,
> vice president of convergence products at Nokia  on what they are
> considering for future hardware revisions:

What I'd really like to see is them use a more powerful processor that
would better be able to decode MPEG4 and H.264 at LCD resolution and
full frame rate.  If they are going to put a camera on the next
version, then being able to encode MPEG4 would be useful as well. Why
just do voice over IP when you can do video over IP.

The 770 such a nice display but nowhere near the computes to be able
fully take advantage of it. I realize that the computes vs power trade
is a difficult one, but it really seems that the 770 is underpowered
for many of the applications that platform invites.

Maybe moving from the current processor to something like the
TMS320DM644[36] would to the trick. I guess other then cost, the
biggest question would be how well it would with power consumption.
But if they adjust the PLLs and core voltage based on CPU usage, I
would think that it wouldn't be much worse then what they have now.

                                           --Clem