[maemo-users] Next revision of 770 hardware - any idea when it will be available?

Devesh,

your point is well taken. But what puzzles me is that with Nokia's
formidable capabilities with respect to handset and related consumer
products manufacturing, why is there not by now a broader family of 770
products that all take advantage the ongoing growing investment in
software. The PDA market has been characterized by a very high rate of
innovation/improvement in hardware and it is common for a new revision
of a manufacturer's hardware baseline to occur at 18 month intervals or
less. I realize that the 770 at least right now seems to be targeted to
a very specific market niche (I have yet to see someone pull one out at
a meeting or conference here in the U.S.) so it may be that the slow
uptake of this product has caused Nokia to hold back on implementing an
aggressive hardware upgrade roadmap.

One factor I think that holds back this product is price. As with many
consumer goods there is a price elasticity of demand for this kind of
product and right now the price is well above that which is necessary
for product sales to take off to the point where you actually see lots
of people caring one of these around. If the price gets down to $150 or
less then you may see people having several of these things laying
around the house for convenient www browsing, remote (RDP/VNC) access
into the home network, serving as remote controllers for  Microsoft
Windows and other media center systems, as well as control of home
environmental/security/irrigation/lighting systems. In that sense the
product could be repositioned as the "Home Network Intranet Tablet" or
something like that.  At the right price they could even take market
share from some of the purpose specific providers on touch-screen
products for high end home entertainment systems (e.g. Crestron and
others) most of whom by now are using Linux any in their embedded OS
environments.

Here by the way is the url to some recent commentary from Ari Virtanen,
vice president of convergence products at Nokia  on what they are
considering for future hardware revisions:

       http://news.com.com/2100-1044_3-6086747.html?part=rss

If Ari or his team are listening on this thread then I say to him/them,
don't wait for WIMAX, but get on with the next revision of hw soon, as
in 6 months or less to address the deficiencies in the current hardware
baseline! By adding a expresscard slot (assuming there is room) and a
USB interface the product would be able to accommodate almost any
external device supporting one or the other interface including a future
WIMAX client card that should be available in the market in the next
6-12 months. Also, how about a wall/desk mount cradle for the device so
it can be charged when it is not in use?

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International

GSEC Gold, GCWN Gold, GGSC-0100, NSA-IAM, NSA-IEM

(H) 703 620 0672

(M) 703 407 2278

(F)  703 620 5388

(O) 410 849 2376 (has voicemail to email)

primary email address:  jholmblad at aol.com

backup email address:  jholmblad at verizon.net

www page for texting:   www.vtext.com/users/jholmblad

text email address:        jholmblad at vtext.com