[maemo-users] maemo 2.0 beta bugs and wishes discussion....

> >>      * WISHLIST
> >>              * SMIME in Mail is there but does anybody use it? IMHO
> >>                GnuPG is much more common.
> >
> > Yes, people use SMIME. As Outlook (Express) has it build in it's very
> > convenient when exchanging mail with the mayority of the internet users.
> >

> I know quite a few people (perhaps two dozen), work and private, who use
> outcrook (some even the express *shudder*), but none of them has cared
> yet about smime. Most don't even know what it is. They do use gpg though.
>
> Not supporting gpg/pgp or no possibilty to use it with the n770 would
> disable secure communication for the other part of the mail users.

I think the biggest use of SMIME is within the enterprise as
Exchange/Outlook integrate it quite tightly. I don't see the support
of gpg would be that hard as evolution/eds already support it, it
would just be a matter of ensuring the support in maemo. You would
also need some sort of key management application to be ported too.

As far as jabber support goes, I thought the jabber protocol used
SSL/TLS as oppsed to gpg to secure the communications as its more
designed for encryption of data streams on the fly over network
connections where as gpg is more a file encryption style of tool. I
think SSL is supported straight up on the jabber side of things.

Pete