[maemo-users] Gainroot Access

On 4/13/06, Amichai Rotman <amichai at iglu.org.il> wrote:

> #!/bin/sh -e
> trap exit SIGHUP SIGINT SIGTERM
> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
> #MODE=`/usr/sbin/chroot /mnt/initfs cal-tool --get-rd-mode`
> #if [ x$MODE = xenabled ]
> #then
> #    echo "Root shell enabled"
> #    /bin/sh
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> #else
> #    echo "Enable RD mode if you want to break your device"
> #fi

[snip]

> Any idea how I can gainroot again? I want to run the solution without the
> editor.
>
> Do I have to re-install the software (update)?

You'll have to reflash. Your `gainroot' now does nothing (as you've seen),
it needs to start a subshell, but the line is commented out (highlighted
above).

Editing gainroot needs great care and attention, personally I find
leaving the device in R&D mode much simpler and less prone to problem.
Given the number of users who've had problems following the convoluted
instructions on the wiki, perhaps they should be changed to suggest
leaving the device in R&D mode?

HTH,

Andrew

--