Re: Any way in LVM to deal with 512e vs 4Kn physical devices?

On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 07:30:51 +0000
Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On machine 'A' I have a pair of:
>
> Device Model:     Samsung SSD 870 EVO 4TB
> Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
>
> on top of this is an mdadm RAID-1 and that is an LVM PV.
>
> One of the LVs has been partitioned with an MBR and a single
> partition spanning the whole of the 400GiB LV.
>
> I took a dd of this LV and transferred it to an identically-sized
> LV on machine 'B' which has a pair of:
>
> Device Model:     HGST HUS726T6TALN6L4
> Sector Size:      4096 bytes logical/physical
>
> The LV there when examined in a partitioning tool such as "fdisk"
> now thinks it has a 3.2TiB partition and it is not usable.
> Correcting the partition sector numbers allows for use of, for
> example, "kpartx", to expose the partition as a loop device but the
> ext4 driver and fsck.ext4 remain unable to detect a superblock.
>
> I have confirmed with sha256sum that the content of the
> image/partition remains the same on source and destination.
>
> So, clearly the issue is the 512e sector size on source vs 4Kn on
> destination. Is there any way to work around this in LVM? My issue
> is that I would like to be able to move images of disks/filesystems
> around at the block level without mounting/creating filesystem and
> transferring with an fs-level application.
>
> If not, then possibly I can use hdparm to set the 4Kn drives to 512,
> which will obviously involve destroying their contents, but that is
> fine at this stage.
>
> I don't think the presence of a partition (as opposed to an ext4
> filesystem directly upon the LV) is relevant; I think the same
> issues would occur with a direct filesystem. I mention it only for
> completeness. Also, I realise that the problems would also happen
> without LVM. I just wonder if there is any workaround at the LVM
> layer, since that is already used here.

I've had this issue before and there is a very simple solution. It does
not work at the LVM layer though, but I suspect what you really care
about is having it work at the software, as opposed to hardware or
firmware layer.

Since the software that created the image did so assuming a 512b sector
size, create a block device that has that sector size. The trick is to
use loopdev to create a layer that does the translation from 512b to 4k
sector size. See the "--sector-size" argument to losetup.

Glenn