Re: Any way in LVM to deal with 512e vs 4Kn physical devices?

On 17.01.2024 17:24, Phillip Susi wrote:
Ilia Zykov <mail@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hello.

Sorry, I could be wrong, but I was encountered this problem a long time ago.
You cannot transfer ext4 from a device with a phys sector 512 bite to a
device with phys 4k sector device.
As far as I remember, ext4 uses this size to perform atomic operations.
Because on the new disk it is not possible to perform an atomic
operation with data of 512 bytes,
then it is impossible to transfer such a FS.
See ENVIROMENTS for mkfs.ext4: "MKE2FS_DEVICE_SECTSIZE",
"MKE2FS_DEVICE_PHYS_SECTSIZE".

Ext[234] does IO in units of blocks.  In the days of 80 MB hard disks,
it could use a block size of 1 or 2 KB.  These days it pretty much
always uses 4 KB.  I'm almost certain that those environment variables
are to override what the kernel detects for testing purposes, and the
only thing mkfs does with this information is to force a 4K block size (
when that is the sector size ), even if the fs is small enough that it
otherwise would use 1 or 2.

Yes, Andy confirmed that there are no problems with 4k blocks, without partition tables. And now I think so too )
Thank you.

----