Re: discuss about commit 3b0f9ce: filter-mpath: get wwids from sysfs vpd_pg83

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 04:48:06PM +0100, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> Dne 16. 11. 23 v 16:40 Martin Wilck napsal(a):
> > The problem I see with using system.devices by default is that it
> > requires installer support, as discussed previously.

Yes

> Yep - it needs to be fully understood and supported by distro - so changing
> default may cause significant troubles - and took us quite some time to
> figure out various details in RHEL

Yes, as mentioned earlier, "images" are a unique case that's not entirely
solved yet.

> issues to solve. So even if we would flip default - configure process should
> be giving some major message notification about such change and how to
> easily 'switch' to previous 'fillter' logic.   So 'dstro' maintainer then
> just adds  configure option and keeps it in older state until distro gets
> ready for such changes.

I pity the distro maintainer who has to figure out all the lvm configure
options... I can hardly figure them out myself.  If lvm wanted to be
helpful, we'd provide pre-defined sets of recommended configure options
for various distros.

Dave