Re: discuss about commit 3b0f9ce: filter-mpath: get wwids from sysfs vpd_pg83

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 02:37:13PM +0100, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> > and restore define DEFAULT_USE_DEVICES_FILE 1.
>
> There is no problem with configuring DEFAULT_USE_DEVICES_FILE with
> 'configure --with-default-use-devices-file= 0/1' and thus no need to change
> anything here.
>
> Current upstream has set this default value as 0  (in configure.ac)

I didn't realize you'd changed the default, please set it back to 1.
(Even better put back DEFAULT_USE_DEVICES_FILE; configured settings
are a pain to deal with, and the complexity causes real problems.)

> The major problem with turning this  to 1 is the distribution must be
> 'ready' with such relatively invasive change as it changes also requirements
> on how the boot image is created  (devicesfile must be copied to ramdisk).

While a distribution does want to be aware of the change (discussed
earlier in the thread), what you're saying specifically is not true.
RHEL, which has this enabled, doesn't even have system.devices in the
ramdisk.  It simply means that it's not used for activating the root LV.

Dave