Re: discuss about commit 3b0f9ce: filter-mpath: get wwids from sysfs vpd_pg83

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 03:29:42PM +0000, Martin Wilck wrote:
> On Thu, 2023-11-16 at 15:03 +0100, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> >
> > Worth to be noted - existing filters are not going anywhere out -
> > devicesfile is jiust another mechanism how to limit device set.
> >
> > For some cases  devicesfile present a more simple way - for some
> > others - filters are clearly a better mechanism which doesn't require
> > updating files in the filesystem.
> >
> > Both filtering systems should be equivalent and work equally well -
> > there is no plan to phase out existing filter logic.

That's just vague enough that I can both agree with it and disagree with
it at the same time :)

The devices file offers significant advantages over regex filters, which
could be described as "working better."  On the other hand, we're
obviously not making the regex filter work worse, and I'm sure it will
exist forever given how long it's been part of lvm.

> Good to know - that sounded a bit different one of David's previous
> posts in this  thread.

I like to be accurate, so to be clear, while the devices file is being
used, the regex filter cannot be used.  lvm commands will print:
"Please remove the lvm.conf filter, it is ignored with the devices file."

Dave