Re: How to implement live migration of VMs in thinlv after using lvmlockd

Z> On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 01:36:17PM +0800, Zhiyong Ye wrote:
I want to implement live migration of VMs in the lvm + lvmlockd + sanlock
environment. There are multiple hosts in the cluster using the same iscsi
connection, and the VMs are running on this environment using thinlv
volumes. But if want to live migrate the vm, it will be difficult since
thinlv which from the same thin pool can only be exclusive active on one
host.

I just expose the LV (thin or not - I prefer not) as an iSCSI target
that the VM boots from. There is only one host that manages a thin pool, and that is a single point of failure, but no locking issues. You
issue the LVM commands on the iSCSI server (which I guess they call NAS
these days).

If you need a way for a VM to request enlarging an LV it accesses, or
similar interaction, I would make a simple API where each VM gets a
token that determines what LVs it has access to and how much total
storage it can consume.  Maybe someone has already done that.
I just issue the commands on the LVM/NAS/iSCSI host.

I haven't done this, but there can be more than one thin pool, each on
it's own NAS/iSCSI server.  So if one storage server crashes, then
only the VMs attached to it crash. You can only (simply) migrate a VM to another VM host on the same storage server.

BUT, you can migrate a VM to another host less instantly using DRBD
or other remote mirroring driver.  I have done this.  You get the
remote LV mirror mostly synced, suspend the VM (to a file if you need
to rsync that to the remote), finish the sync of the LV(s), resume the
VM on the new server - in another city.  Handy when you have a few hours
notice of a natural disaster (hurricane/flood).