Re: How to implement live migration of VMs in thinlv after using lvmlockd

On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 01:36:17PM +0800, Zhiyong Ye wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to implement live migration of VMs in the lvm + lvmlockd + sanlock
> environment. There are multiple hosts in the cluster using the same iscsi
> connection, and the VMs are running on this environment using thinlv
> volumes. But if want to live migrate the vm, it will be difficult since
> thinlv which from the same thin pool can only be exclusive active on one
> host.
>
> I found a previous subject that discussed this issue:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20180305165926.GA20527@xxxxxxxxxx/

Hi, in that email I tried to point out that the real problem is not the
locking, but rather the inability of dm-thin to share a thin pool among
multiple hosts.  The locking restrictions just reflect that technical
limitation.

Dave