Re: lvmpolld causes high cpu load issue

Dne 17. 08. 22 v 19:35 Gionatan Danti napsal(a):
Il 2022-08-17 17:26 Zdenek Kabelac ha scritto:
I like the general idea of the udev watch. It is the magic that causes
newly created partitions to magically appear in the system, which is

Would disabling the watch rule be a reasonable approach in this case? If the user want to scan a new device, it only needs to issue partprobe or kpartx, or am I missing something?

Before diving into these 'deep waters' - I'd really like to first see if the problem is still such an issue with our upstream code base.

There have been lot of minor optimization committed over the time - so the amount of fired 'watch' rules should be considerably smaller then the version mentioned in customer issue.

There is on going  'SID' project - that might push the logic somewhat
further, but existing 'device' support logic as is today is
unfortunate 'trace' of how the design should not have been made - and
since all 'original' programmers left the project long time ago - it's
non-trivial to push things forward.

Well, this is not good news. Just for my education, it is possibile to run a modern linux distro without udev at all? I still remember when the new cool thing for device autodiscovery was devfs (with some distro - like gentoo - taking the alternative approach to simply tarrig & untarring much of the entire /dev/ files to prepopulate the major+minor number... >
We just hope the SID will make some progress (although probably small
one at the beginning).

Any info on the project?

https://github.com/prajnoha/sid

Zdenek