Re: lvmpolld causes high cpu load issue

On Wed, 2022-08-17 at 18:47 +0800, Heming Zhao wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 11:46:16AM +0200, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>

> > ATM I'm not even sure if you are complaining about how CPU usage of
> > lvmpolld
> > or just huge udev rules processing overhead.
>
> The load is generated by multipath. lvmpolld does the IN_CLOSE_WRITE
> action
> which is the trigger.

Let's be clear here: every close-after-write operation triggers udev's
"watch" mechanism for block devices, which causes the udev rules to be
executed for the device. That is not a cheap operation. In the case at
hand, the customer was observing a lot of "multipath -U" commands. So
apparently a significant part of the udev rule processing was spent in
"multipath -U". Running "multipath -U" is important, because the rule
could have been triggered by a change of the number of available paths
devices, and later commands run from udev rules might hang indefinitely
if the multipath device had no usable paths any more. "multipath -U" is
already quite well optimized, but it needs to do some I/O to complete
it's work, thus it takes a few milliseconds to run.

IOW, it would be misleading to point at multipath. close-after-write
operations on block devices should be avoided if possible. As you
probably know, the purpose udev's "watch" operation is to be able to
determine changes on layered devices, e.g. newly created LVs or the
like. "pvmove" is special, because by definition it will usually not
cause any changes in higher layers. Therefore it might make sense to
disable the udev watch on the affected PVs while pvmove is running, and
trigger a single change event (re-enabling the watch) after the pvmove
has finished. If that is impossible, lvmpolld and other lvm tools that
are involved in the pvmove operation should avoid calling close() on
the PVs, IOW keep the fds open until the operation is finished.

Regards
Martin