Re: raidintegrity on non top level LVs

On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 10:15:54 -0500
David Teigland <teigland@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 04:27:53PM +0200, ajs124 wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been wondering. Why does lvconvert not allow me to add raid
> > integrity to LVs that are not top level?
> > It only says "Integrity can only be added to top level raid LV."
> >
> > Skimming the commit that added this [1] did not provide me with
> > an answer, so I thought I'd ask here.
>
> Hi, good question, I think it was just an effort to limit the scope of the
> feature initially.  Over time we can possibly expand the scope after
> seeing how things were working technically, and the experience of users.
> I'm curious to know what configuration you're trying, and if you have any
> experience using raid+integrity otherwise.
>
> Dave

Hi,

we're using a thin pool on top of two raid lvs for thinpool metadata
and data and I tried adding integrity to that.

We don't have much experience with raid+integrity, just a handful of
systems, which have been running fine. They're not particularly
performance critical and we don't have much data on how exactly they
behave.

The reason why I started looking into this again is because I observed
some mismatched sectors on a host, where all drives seem fine and I'd
like to have integrity to maybe figure out if any of the drives are
actually faulty.

ajs124