Re: hwmon strangeness, no fan control on w83627dhg

Hi!

> >>But it seems hardware should be backwards-compatible...
> >
> >Ok, it seems it is. But by default it starts in (non-compatible) smart
> >fan III+ mode. I can do port(0x15e) &= ~0x20 to kick it back into
> >compatible mode, and I can then control CPU fan speed in 800..1700 RPM
> >range as expected; but my goal was to stop the fan to make the machine
> >quiet... No success with that so far.
>
> Not all CPU fans can be stopped. Maybe that is the case here ?

All the CPU fans can be stopped, with enough force :-).

Trouble is, I'd like to stop this one with software, and that might
not be possible. (I wonder how they do it? Clearly fan _is_ connected
to the PWM output somehow. Do they have second, hard-coded PWM
generator and logical OR on board...?)
									Pavel