Re: hwmon strangeness, no fan control on w83627dhg

On 02/14/2015 02:56 AM, Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

I don't have much time to spend on this right now but you should start
by comparing the datasheets of the W83627DHG and the W83627DHG-P
looking for differences.

I got the datasheets, (-P version is novuton, the other one is
winbond), and there are pretty similar.

The hardware monitoring chapter is pretty similar. Section 5 (PECI) is
completely rewritten. Section 6.3 has some differences, it looks -P
has new smart fan III+ feature. Section 6.3.4 (smart fan III+) is
new. There are differences in 7.1.3.1. section, but that is some SMI
interrupt stuff, not interesting for us.

Chapter 8/9 (hardware monitor register set) has completely different
graphics... but seems to describe same hardware. Hmm, it has even the
same value (5CA3) in the identification register. Sections .70-.84 seems to
describe new registers for smart fan III+ mode and more. And there are
more new registers near section .98 and .119.

But it seems hardware should be backwards-compatible...

Ok, it seems it is. But by default it starts in (non-compatible) smart
fan III+ mode. I can do port(0x15e) &= ~0x20 to kick it back into
compatible mode, and I can then control CPU fan speed in 800..1700 RPM
range as expected; but my goal was to stop the fan to make the machine
quiet... No success with that so far.

Not all CPU fans can be stopped. Maybe that is the case here ?

Guenter