Re: Newbie: can't adjust cpu fan speed in ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Hi Mauricio,

On Mon, 8 Sep 2014 06:52:17 -0400, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>        I did modify the output by adding the content in parenthesis
> based on what it wrote further down, for the sake of brevity. Now I
> ran it again, I see I was wrong: pwm1, pwm2, and pwm3 are controlled
> nct6776:
>
> Found the following PWM controls:
>    hwmon0/device/pwm1           current value: 224
> hwmon0/device/pwm1 is currently setup for automatic speed control.
> In general, automatic mode is preferred over manual mode, as
> it is more efficient and it reacts faster. Are you sure that
> you want to setup this output for manual control? (n)
>    hwmon0/device/pwm2           current value: 228
> hwmon0/device/pwm2 is currently setup for automatic speed control.
> In general, automatic mode is preferred over manual mode, as
> it is more efficient and it reacts faster. Are you sure that
> you want to setup this output for manual control? (n)
>    hwmon0/device/pwm3           current value: 255
>
> I stand corrected!. =)

So, pwm1 and pwm2 are configured in automatic mode. This is good news
as this usually indicates that the motherboard can control some of the
fans.

In general automatic mode is preferred over manual mode, as it's
cheaper, faster and safer. So if the fans are already under control,
may I ask what problem you are trying to solve with pwmconfig and
fancontrol? If automatic mode needs tweaking, settings are typically
available in the motherboard setup tool.

If for whatever reason you really want to use manual control, then you
must explicitly ask pwmconfig to switch pwm1 and pwm2 to manual control
mode. Until you do so, the script will refuse to perform any test on
these outputs and will thus consider them as nonexistent.

Hope that helps,
--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support