Re: Newbie: can't adjust cpu fan speed in ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Hi Mauricio,

Please keep the list in Cc.

Le Thursday 18 September 2014 à 10:39 -0400, Mauricio Tavares a écrit :
>       And here is another update, which reinforces what I said before:
> I am a newbie using lm_sensors. By that I mean I found out last night
> that my bios was a bit old. So I upgraded it and now even the old
> version of pwmconfig and fancontrol work fine:

It is possible that this change was only a side effect of the BIOS
update. In most BIOS there is an option to enable automatic fan speed
control or not. Maybe it was enabled before and the BIOS update turned
it back to disabled if that was the default.

But anyway, good thing that you managed to do what you wanted.

> Now my fan is much quieter:
>
> fan2:         694 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)  ALARM
>
> CPU is currently at 35C (Don't care about the ALARM right now; that is
> configurable later).

The alarm is strange because with min = 0 you should never get an alarm.
Maybe try to set the limit to a low, non-zero value (100 for example and
see if it helps.)

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support