Re: Newbie: can't adjust cpu fan speed in ASRock Z77 Extreme4

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 2:47 AM, Jean Delvare <jdelvare@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Guenter, Roeck,
>
> On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 09:13:47 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>> On 09/07/2014 07:11 AM, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>> > For now I just want to look at fan2, the only fan I have connected to
>> > the cpu fan1, which supposedly can do pwm (4 pin). Now I thought the
>> > next step was to use pwmconfig
>> > (revision 5630 (2009-01-29) in my case) to see if I can change the fan
>> > speed. according to it,
>
> This is very old. You'd be much better with more recent versions of
> pwmconfig and fancontrol. These scripts are independent from the rest
> of lm-sensors so feel free to use the versions included in the latest
> source lm-sensors package.

      Second time I ran pwmconfig, I used
http://www.lm-sensors.org/browser/lm-sensors/trunk/prog/pwm/pwmconfig,
running it from /tmp (see my last reply). The package in my distro
might be old but I still did not want to overwrite the file.

Looking at pwmconfig, it does not run fancontrol; it just checks if it
is running and change its config file. So I would think for now I can
ignore it as it is not running right now (kinda pointless until
pwmconfig can actually control the stupid fan, right?).

>> > Found the following devices:
>> >     hwmon0/device is nct6776  (hwmon0/device/pwm{1,3})
>> >     hwmon1/device is coretemp (hwmon1/device/pwm2)
>>
>> This is odd; the coretemp driver does not implement fan control
>> and does not provide any pwm attributes.
>
> The pwmconfig script never printed something like the above. Either
> this was edited manually, or this version of the script has some
> distro-specific patch applied. Either way, this indeed doesn't make any
> sense.

       I did modify the output by adding the content in parenthesis
based on what it wrote further down, for the sake of brevity. Now I
ran it again, I see I was wrong: pwm1, pwm2, and pwm3 are controlled
nct6776:

Found the following PWM controls:
   hwmon0/device/pwm1           current value: 224
hwmon0/device/pwm1 is currently setup for automatic speed control.
In general, automatic mode is preferred over manual mode, as
it is more efficient and it reacts faster. Are you sure that
you want to setup this output for manual control? (n)
   hwmon0/device/pwm2           current value: 228
hwmon0/device/pwm2 is currently setup for automatic speed control.
In general, automatic mode is preferred over manual mode, as
it is more efficient and it reacts faster. Are you sure that
you want to setup this output for manual control? (n)
   hwmon0/device/pwm3           current value: 255

I stand corrected!. =)