Re: Sensor help for HP laptop

Hi Ben,

On Mon, 8 Sep 2014 18:48:19 -0700, Ben McCann wrote:
> $ sudo sensors-detect
> # sensors-detect revision 6170 (2013-05-20 21:25:22 +0200)
> # System: Hewlett-Packard HP EliteBook 850 G1 [A3009DD10303] (laptop)
> # Board: Hewlett-Packard 198F

The complete output of sensors-detect would have been useful.

> $ sudo pwmconfig
> /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed
>
> Is it telling me there are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed because
> I lack hardware support or is it because the software does not yet support
> my hardware?

pwmconfig tells you that software support is missing. It has no idea if
hardware can do it or not.

>  If it's the latter, I'm interested in helping to fix this. I
> could possibly provide direct development depending on what is needed and
> what type of documentation and pointers are available for adding support
> for new hardware. I also would be willing to help test and possibly provide
> donations to help support this hardware as well.

Most laptops don't have directly accessible hardware monitoring chips,
instead everything is hidden behind ACPI or in the firmware itself. So,
except for CPU-embedded sensors, it is expected that sensors-detect
does generally not find anything on laptops.

You did not say what problem you were trying to solve so it is a bit
difficult for us to help. Still, your best chances are probably firmware
options, or vendor-specific kernel modules. In your case, the kernel
module named hp-wmi may provide the HDD temperature, but I think that's
about it as far as hardware monitoring is concerned.

If there are power or thermal issues with your laptop, this should be
reported to the proper mailing lists.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support