Re: Measured Fan RPM Jumps Frequently to 675000 RPM

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:51:37AM +0200, Sascha Haupt wrote:
>>
>> Dear @ll,
>>
>> I am monitoring multiple systems (with Asus M5A78LE mainboards)
>> using sensors and Munin.
>>
>> On one node I often get a value of 675000 RPM for the FAN2 speed.
>> Usually, the value of FAN2 is approx 1950 RPM.
>>
>> The jump can frequently be seen if sensors is executed manually in a
>> fast sequence:
>>
> The driver only reports what it gets from the system through ACPI.
> I don't think there is anything we can do about it.
>
> Luca, any idea ?

Usually the ACPI code tries to read the speed from the sensor a few
times until it "makes sense" (according to some board specific logic);
if it fails it returns garbage.
If you send me the DSDT (/sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT) I'll take a look.
In theory you could rewrite the method and replace the DSDT, but I
don't think it's worth the effort.

Luca