Re: Gigabyte GA-Z77N-ITX Motherboard it87 sensors module (SuperIO chip ITE 8728)

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>  well... it kinda helps to identify it.  i did a search "H77N" - i did
>> *not* do a search by "SuperIO" or even "it87" - it was only after
>> spotting that text "unrecognised SuperIO chip" did i begin to track
>> things down.
>>
> Maybe, but H77 vs. it87 is really completely unrelated.

 ok i get it now.  H77N is not the designation of the motherboard, but
an intel chipset.  in which case i absolutely agree with you.

> The information should really be in the Gigabyte manual. Now, turns out that
> a Google search for "gigabyte h77n superio" returns the SuperIO chip as first
> response. Not really sure how we could do better than that.

 also based on this being only related to linux kernel 3.2.... wait....
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Debian-7-0-will-use-3-2-kernel-1425560.html

 yep, linux 3.2 is definitely going to be around for a looong time [it
was only released in january!!]

 something to think about...

> What may make sense is a note telling people to look for the SuperIO
> chip on their board, not for any of the Intel chips. A database with
> motherboards and matching SuperIO chips might make sense too, though
> I am relatively sure that something like this already exists. If not,
> you are of course welcome to create such a database and maintain it.

 loovely :)  if i had a dozen boards i was investigating, i definitely would :)