Re: Gigabyte GA-Z77N-ITX Motherboard it87 sensors module (SuperIO chip ITE 8728)

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 08:38:04AM +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >>     modprobe it87 force_id=0x8720
> >
> > Thanks for sharing your findings. Obviously I already knew about it
> > all, but your post might help others in similar situations.
>
>  with the right keywords, aaanything is possible :)
>
> >> also, the following page http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices was
> >> also quite terse and not immediately very helpful.  if the advice
> >> about force_id had been on the wiki page, i would have saved about 2
> >> hours of searching.
> >
> > Good point. However I'm not sure where I would add the information and
> > in what form. The force_id parameter isn't it87-specific, it is
> > supported by 11 different hwmon drivers, covering something 20 or 30
> > different devices. In general it is also better if users can build a
> > standalone driver because this gives them the right device name
> > matching the configuration file for their board (if one exists.)
>
>  in debian this is generally discouraged.  in the work environment in
> which i find myself it is a *definite* no.  we have enough to deal
> with in the fact that this is only available for 3.2.0 rather than
> 2.6.32.  we will need to do at least 2 to 3 months of testing before
> 3.2.0 can be *considered* to be put into production.

And we are up to 3.9 already, and 2.6.32 was already dropped from the longterm
supported kernel list. You are really running old kernels - by the time you
start running 3.2, it may be getting close to EOL.

>  and we would need to either create a debian package for the
> stand-alone driver or compile ... no, we would not be able to compile
> on the box because that would mean that the 800 machines in the field
> would need to have gcc installed, that would mean 100% CPU for short
> durations which would disrupt the customer, so no, definitely a debian
> package, and that's a lot of work.
>
>  basically it is often completely impractical to use the standalone
> driver, or quite a lot of work.
>

> > That being said, I agree that not all users can build the standalone
> > driver.
>
>  ... or it's a significant burden to do so, as well as requiring
> months of testing before going live.

I think Jean referred more to individual users and did not really have
distributions or large scale deployments in mind.

> > Also the cases where passing the force_id parameter works
> > perfectly are rather rare. So I decided to add a note about force_id in
> > the IT8728F entry only.
>
>  that works.  that works very well.  H77N could do with being added to
> the list of gigabyte motherboards in that entry, it only lists 67 so
> far.

Might be better to remove all of them. The driver is, after all, for a SuperIO
chipset, not for specific Intel boards, and the chip is used quite widely
on many boards nowadays.

Thanks,
Guenter