Re: Gigabyte GA-Z77N-ITX Motherboard it87 sensors module (SuperIO chip ITE 8728)

Hi Luke,

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 12:34:45 +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
> ok.  it took a hell of a long time to find the right information to
> get this motherboard to be recognised, so i thought i'd do a quick
> report with the appropriate keywords for other people to be able to
> find it.   i'm using linux kernel 3.2.0 which is considered reasonably
> stable, hence the reason why it was not detected.
>
> the phrase that people are looking for - if they notice it when
> running sensors-detect, is:
>
>      "Found unknown chip with ID 0x8728"
>
> with that, it's possible to find this:
>
>      http://www.spinics.net/lists/lm-sensors/msg30897.html
>
> which leads to the correct information which is to add the following
> to a file named e.g. /etc/modprobe.d/it87.conf:
>
>     options it87 force_id=0x8720
>
> also by downloading the source code for sensors-detect 3.3 i was able
> to ascertain that the SuperIO chip with ID 0x8728 has already been
> added, but i had sensors-detect version 3.1 so  modified
> /usr/sbin/sensors-detect (version 3.1) around line 1819 to add this:
>
>         }, {
>                 name => "ITE IT8726F Super IO Sensors",
>                 driver => "it87",
>                 devid => 0x8726,
>                 logdev => 0x04,
>                 features => FEAT_IN | FEAT_FAN | FEAT_TEMP,
>         }, {
>                 name => "ITE IT8728F Super IO Sensors",
>                 driver => "it87",
>                 devid => 0x8728,
>                 logdev => 0x04,
>                 features => FEAT_IN | FEAT_FAN | FEAT_TEMP,
>         }
> );
>
> this was rather unnecessary but may be useful to some: after running,
> all it did was add it87 to /etc/modules which i could have done anyway
> [but ONLY works with that modprobe.d addition.
>
> also what may be of assistance to some people: the previous answer did
> not exactly specify what the line is for modprobe, it assumes
> knowledge of how to use modprobe.  the command you are looking for is:
>
>     modprobe it87 force_id=0x8720

Thanks for sharing your findings. Obviously I already knew about it
all, but your post might help others in similar situations.

> also, the following page http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices was
> also quite terse and not immediately very helpful.  if the advice
> about force_id had been on the wiki page, i would have saved about 2
> hours of searching.

Good point. However I'm not sure where I would add the information and
in what form. The force_id parameter isn't it87-specific, it is
supported by 11 different hwmon drivers, covering something 20 or 30
different devices. In general it is also better if users can build a
standalone driver because this gives them the right device name
matching the configuration file for their board (if one exists.)

That being said, I agree that not all users can build the standalone
driver. Also the cases where passing the force_id parameter works
perfectly are rather rare. So I decided to add a note about force_id in
the IT8728F entry only. Thanks for the suggestion.

> however, *after* discovering the above, the
> information reporting that 0x8728 works with kernel versions 3.3 or
> the stand-alone sensors kernel modules became clear [i have 3.2.0].
> also, H77N is missing from the wiki page entry, it shows support for
> H67 and a couple of others, but H77N i can definitely confirm is
> working [with the force_id]

The wiki has been clarified by Guenter meanwhile.

--
Jean Delvare