Re: Script for collecting lm-sensors compatibility with motherboards

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 08:20:56AM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
>
> On Sun, 05 May 2013 19:42:44 +0600, Alexey Vazhnov wrote:
> > Perhaps we can check many hardware for compatibility with Linux.
> > Condition: test must be fast, so no manual intervention. So now I
> > prepare some PXE images for collect hardware information. How do I
> > collect maximum information about motherboards chips compatible with
> > lm-sensors? Currently I see only one variant — write motherboard name
> > with «sensors» stdout.
>
> "sensors" alone will only give you values for the few hwmon drivers
> which are auto-loaded. Most are not though, so you'd have to run
> sensors-detect first, then start the lm_sensors service so that the
> required drivers are loaded, and only then check the output of
> "sensors".
>
> Unfortunately at the moment sensors-detect is an interactive script. I
> tried implementing an automatic mode [1] but never got any feedback
> from it.
>
> [1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/lm-sensors/msg37171.html
>
> I have rebased my patch, you can download a version of
> sensors-detect with option --auto at:
> http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/lm-sensors/sensors-detect
>
> Note that this isn't necessarily safe as the internal logic may
> lead to potentially dangerous probes being attempted. See the WARNING
> section in sensors-detect(8). This makes me wonder if what you are
> trying to achieve is really a good idea. Once a year, we have a user
> complaining that sensors-detect damaged their hardware...
>
> Guenter, what do you think? Is this valuable enough and I should commit
> this, and we can improve it over time? Or just too dangerous and I
> should delete this patch ASAP and forget about the whole idea forever?

I think it is valuable, but I think we would need to make sure that
"unsafe" i2c adapters (ie those associated with graphic adapters)
are not probed in automatic mode. The "PCI multimedia card" exception
helps, but doesn't cover the i2c adapters on i915. The PCI class
for those is 0x0300 (PCI_CLASS_DISPLAY). Can we exclude that class
for automatic scans ?

Thanks,
Guenter