Re: sensors-detect changed screen's vertical rate

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:15:26 +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Numan,
>
> On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 22:05:49 +0300, Numan DEMİRDÖĞEN wrote:
> > > You can check the value of /sys/module/radeon/parameters/hw_i2c.
> >
> > cat /sys/module/radeon/parameters/hw_i2c
> > 0
> > So it works. Thank you.
>
> OK. But now this makes me very curious about two things (probably
> related) :
>
> * Do you see any mention of "i2c hw bus" in the output of
>   "i2cdetect -l" in the case above (i.e. radeon.hw_i2c=0 has been
>   passed to grub)?
>
> * What is the value of /sys/module/radeon/parameters/hw_i2c when you do
>   NOT pass radeon.hw_i2c=0 to grub?
>
> If the radeon driver uses hardware I2C engines when told not to, that
> would be a bug.

Scratch this, I discussed with Alex Deucher and he explained that there
is no possibility to access the MM i2c bus with software bit-banging,
the hardware engine is the only way to go and this is why the hw_i2c
option has no effect on this bus.

Unfortunately he didn't have any explanation for what happened. All he
could suggest was that maybe some EEPROM cells went dead when the
problem happened, and that's why we can't write the proper values back.
This is indeed a possibility, which unfortunately means there's nothing
we can do to restore your EDID. Sorry :(

--
Jean Delvare