Re: help with setup / chip support

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Kenneth,

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:36:36 -0800, Kenneth Cox wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Did you restart the lm_sensors service after that? sensors-detect only
> > detects which drivers are needed, it doesn't load them for you.
>
> How do you restart lm_sensors? I just rebooted and assumed that would
> restart it ok.

Depends on your distribution:
# rclm_sensors restart
would work on Suse unless you use systemd in which case it would rather
be:
# systemctl restart lm_sensors.service
Red Hat / Fedora is probably similar, while Debian and Ubuntu are
certainly different. Can't help you with these as I don't know them,
sorry.

Also note that most distributions modify sensors-detect slightly to
improve the integration. As you're using the upstream version of
sensors-detect you may be missing part of this integration.

Rebooting should work too, so if you did that, there's certainly
another problem.

> > If you still don't get more values even after that, check the kernel
> > log for error messages.
>
> I don't know what I'm looking for in the kernel log. I searched the log for
> "sensors" and came up with nothing. What should I be looking for?

You should rather look for "w83627" and "nct67":

# dmesg | grep -i w83627
# dmesg | grep -i nct67
or
# grep -i w83627 /var/log/messages | tail
# grep -i nct67 /var/log/messages | tail

None of those returned anything. :(

Most likely you are the victim of an ACPI resource conflict, this is
becoming very frequent and sensors-detect doesn't know about them yet.

So is it just a "wait for further developments" kind of thing? Thanks for all your help on this. You've been excellent.

--
Jean Delvare