Re: help with setup / chip support

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 06:21:19AM -0800, Kenneth Cox wrote:
> Jean,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>     Hi Kenneth,
>
>     On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:46:33 -0800, Kenneth Cox wrote:
>     > I am having trouble getting lm-sensors to work as it should I believe
>     that
>     > part of the problem is support for a newer chip set. here are the specs:
>     >
>     > CPU: AMD A4-3400 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
>     > family(18) model(1) stepping(0)
>     >
>     > MoBo: ASRock A75M-HVS
>     >
>     > I'm using the onboard Radeon graphics.
>     >
>     > I ran the sensors-detect script saying yes to everything. The output of
>     > sensors:
>     > k10temp-pci-00c3
>     > Adapter: PCI adapter
>     > temp1:         +9.8°C  (high = +70.0°C)
>     >                        (crit = +70.0°C, hyst = +69.0°C)
>     >
>     > That's much colder than room temp and only gives data for the PCI
>     adapter.
>
>     This isn't the temperature of "the PCI adapter", the value is from your
>     CPU. This happens to be implemented as a PCI device in AMD processors,
>     which is why you see "PCI adapter" in the output, but this is rather
>     misleading I admit.
>
>     The reported temperature indeed looks wrong, however it isn't
>     necessarily surprising. This isn't an absolute temperature, but rather
>     a temperature margin from the CPU's max, and it is only accurate when
>     you get close to the limit. So from the above, one can say that your
>     CPU is running very cool ans safe, and that's about it.
>
>     That being said, I think this is the first report I see for this family
>     of CPU. Andreas, Andre, do you think there's any bug to be fixed here?
>

> Got it. That's excellent news. At least I know I can trust the output to let me
> know if it's getting to warm. I did not trust it at all before.
>

>     > I also tried downloading the latest version of sensors-detect from
>     > http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices and rerunning. It did not change
>     > anything.
>     >
>     > Is there a way to get sensor data for the CPU and accurate data from the
>     > PCI adapter? Any help would be appreciated.
>
>     What kind of system is this? If this is a laptop you're probably out of
>     luck. If this is a desktop system, I would expect a hardware monitoring
>     chip on the SMBus or in the Super-I/O chip. Maybe it is too recent and
>     we don't know about it yet. Please provide the full output of
>     sensors-detect.

Hi Kenneth,

I just can second what Jean already said. The reported temperature
(Tctl) is

  "on its own scale aligned to the processors cooling
  requirements. Therefore Tctl does not represent a temperature which
  could be measured on the die or the case of the processor. Instead,
  it specifies the processor temperature relative to the maximum
  operating temperature, Tctl_max."

(Quoted from the AMD Family 12h Processor BKDG.) You have a FM1 socket
processor. Tctl_max is 70 in your case.  So the reported temperature
of 9.8 is far below that maximum operating temperature.

HTH,

Andreas