Re: Upgraded my old Debian box's Kernel from 2.6.30 to 2.6.32, and missing datas in lm_sensors.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Phillip Pi <ant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Thanks Luca. I assume it is safe to use for my motherboard to see other
>> > datas like voltages?
>>
>> Not 100%, there's still a race window. But it's pretty small.
>
> What do you mean by race window? I am not familiar with this
> term/phrase.

There a small temporal window when the two drivers (thermal and native
driver) might access the chip at the same time leading to incorrect
readings (or worse).

>> > Are there be any future plans to show voltages and other datas without
>> > the old method ("acpi_enforce_resources=lax")?
>>
>> We can't do much... the IO ports used by the monitoring chip are
>> claimed by ACPI (supplied by the board vendor), so technically it's
>> wrong for another driver to poke it. Asus provides an interface for
>> reading the sensors in safe way, MSI does not...
>
> So no one was able to hack MSI hardwares even after a few years? And MSI
> never released their datas? Is that why?

No, ACPI code is basically embedded in the BIOS, so there's no way to
expand the interface - short of providing a custom BIOS for each
board.
The problem is that two pieces of software are trying to control the
same hw resource without any coordination.

Luca