Re: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P - VID Zero value

Quoting Adam Nielsen <a.nielsen@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

All the hwmon-vid driver seems to do is ask the driver for the raw vid value
and run it through a formula.  It doesn't actually have anything to do with
hardware at all (other than detecting the CPU brand and model.)

Quite possibly, but if you download the latest Linux kernel, compile and boot
that, and try again you'll know for sure whether code exists to handle it or
not.  Given the number of quirks motherboard sensors seem to have, I suspect
this issue is just another quirk that needs to be added to the it87 driver.

The next step is to probably get some raw vid values off the it87 chip to see
what they look like - if those are all zero then we know the lines aren't
connected, but if there are some values there it should in theory be possible
to map them to vid voltages.  I guess this is where that isadump output you
posted comes in...

It's a shame there's no "passthrough" vrm version that disables the formula
and shows the raw vid value, as that would probably be quite helpful.  Maybe
it's worth adding a patch to do just that?

Cheers,
Adam.

Phil from elrepo assures me that the kmod-it87 driver has all the latest patches backported, so it's not that.

Interpreting the isadump is way over my head, so it looks like we're on a hiding to nowhere here unless someone can assist us with that and investigating hwmon-vid.

I won't be doing a kernel upgrade - this is a CentOS server that runs my family email, web site, etc... I try and keep downtime and reboots to a bare minimum. :)

As to a patch for VRM 'passthrough' - again, way over my level of expertise I'm afraid. :(

What is interesting is that there is obviously a value being obtained from the motherboard - otherwise setting VRM to 100 (10.0) would also produce 0.000 V. But the calculation that it is running when the value is 110 (11.0) is resulting in a 0 value. So somehow, the formulae and cals in teh VRM translation is screwy when hwmon (correctly) detects my Conroe and sets it to 11.0.

Cheers
Simon

--
Simon Wilson