Re: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P - VID Zero value

Quoting Adam Nielsen <a.nielsen@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

The file is dated Sept 20 2006. I suspect this may be the issue... there
is nothing in there for VRM 10 or 11. It would appear that I need a
later hwmon-vid driver? Or am I completely on the wrong track there LOL...

That's only your installed header file.  It would only affect userspace
programs doing the conversion themselves.  The latest code from the
kernel module is at:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob; =drivers/hwmon/hwmon-vid.c;hb=HEAD

And all the VID revisions are defined in there.

Well it looks like the value isn't being read properly during chip
initialisation.  Perhaps a bug in the it87 hwmon driver?

The VID seems to get read in around line 1037:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob; =drivers/hwmon/it87.c#l1035

Probably more research required to figure out why that value is zero on
our motherboards.

Cheers,
Adam.

Thanks for clarifying that. Still new at all this stuff really... :)

Well, based on the git version of hwmon-vid.c the fact that /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/vrm is originally 110 on my system would seem to indicate then that the hwmon-vid driver is correctly setting the VRM version based on my Conroe CPU to 110. Is there any way to interrogate the hwmon-vid driver to see whether it is working at a lower level before the it87 driver reads it in?

Perhaps the elrepo.org kmod-it87 driver that I am using needs to be updated with more recent code to support the different VID configuration of the 8718 and 8720 chips...

Simon.

--
Simon Wilson
www.simonandkate.net