lm-sensors 3.0.0-rc1 has been released!

Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hans,
>
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:13:35 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Jean Delvare wrote:
>>> How do you deal with the case where both libsensors.so.3 and
>>> libsensors.so.4 are available at link time?
>> Well -lsensors will search for libsensors.so, which is a symlink to one of the
>> two, I would expect this symlink to point to the same version as
>> /usr/include/sensors/sensors.h is.
>
> Ah, OK. I didn't realize this before, thanks for the clarification.
>
> I somehow expected / hoped that it was possible to explicitly point ld
> to a specific .so version, but apparently this isn't the case.
>
>> When talking distros, the symlinks usually reside in the -devel package. One
>> can then make either the 2 -devel pakcages conflict, or put the symlink in a
>> subdir of /usr/lib[64] and have a pkg-config file (which are usually versioned)
>> and use pkg-config to add the correct -L/..... path to the LD_FLAGS.
>>
>> This (symlinks in subdirs of /usr/lib, pkg-config) is how many libraries which
>> are designed for parallel installs do it. In the case of lm_sensors the plan
>> for Feodra is to switch to libsensors4 and just patch all users to move to the
>> new API, I much rather spend some time writing patches for libsensors using
>> apps, then spend time to make the 2 parallel installable. Also notice that as
>> the 2 are inherently not paralell installable as the both want to install
>> /usr/include/sensors/sensors.h
>
> I'm interested in this because in openSuse, there's currently no
> separate devel package for sensors. I plan to make one before moving to
> 3.0.0, so I need to learn how this is supposed to work.

In general, anything not needed runtime goes in the -devel package, so thats
the .so symlink, static (.a) versions of the lib (if you want to have one at
all, Fedora has done away with static libs), headers, developer documentation
like section 3 manpages, and README's / FAQ's / whatever more geared towards
developers then users. You may also want to build sensorsd and put it in a
seperate sub-package.

Also you will need to create a package for the now seperated i2c tools. I still
need todo this too, you may use mine as a base once its there.

Regards,

Hans