lm-sensors 3.0.0-rc1 has been released!

Hans,

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:13:35 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Jean Delvare wrote:
> > How do you deal with the case where both libsensors.so.3 and
> > libsensors.so.4 are available at link time?
>
> Well -lsensors will search for libsensors.so, which is a symlink to one of the
> two, I would expect this symlink to point to the same version as
> /usr/include/sensors/sensors.h is.

Ah, OK. I didn't realize this before, thanks for the clarification.

I somehow expected / hoped that it was possible to explicitly point ld
to a specific .so version, but apparently this isn't the case.

> When talking distros, the symlinks usually reside in the -devel package. One
> can then make either the 2 -devel pakcages conflict, or put the symlink in a
> subdir of /usr/lib[64] and have a pkg-config file (which are usually versioned)
> and use pkg-config to add the correct -L/..... path to the LD_FLAGS.
>
> This (symlinks in subdirs of /usr/lib, pkg-config) is how many libraries which
> are designed for parallel installs do it. In the case of lm_sensors the plan
> for Feodra is to switch to libsensors4 and just patch all users to move to the
> new API, I much rather spend some time writing patches for libsensors using
> apps, then spend time to make the 2 parallel installable. Also notice that as
> the 2 are inherently not paralell installable as the both want to install
> /usr/include/sensors/sensors.h

I'm interested in this because in openSuse, there's currently no
separate devel package for sensors. I plan to make one before moving to
3.0.0, so I need to learn how this is supposed to work.

I also don't plan to make both devel packages installable in parallel,
it's not worth the effort.

--
Jean Delvare