lm-sensors 3.0.0-rc1 has been released!

Hi Hans,

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:18:02 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Jean Delvare wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:02:31 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> >> Excellent work Jean! I've given this a test run on all my systems / test rigs
> >> and it works great everywhere. I'll create patches for ksensors, gkrellm, and
> >> gome's sensors-applet as time permits. I'm afraid this will take a while as
> >> currently I'm very busy with stuff regarding the upcoming Fedora 8.
> >
> > Any news on this? I am more or less waiting for this to happen before
> > we can release lm-sensors 3.0.0 final.
>
> I've ported my first application over: gkrellm. gkrellm only uses the main
> featuree (_input values) so I instinctively wrote this:
>
> 	while ((feature = sensors_get_features(name, &nr1))) {
> 		/* ..... */
> 		result = sensors_get_value(name, feature->number, &val);
>
> Which to my surprise doesn't work I now know this should be:
> 	while ((feature = sensors_get_features(name, &nr1))) {
> 		/* ..... */
> 		result = sensors_get_value(name,
> 			sensors_get_subfeature(name, feature, SENSORS_SUBFEATURE_IN_INPUT),
> 			feature->number, &val);
>
> Which must be put in a switch statement on feature->type to put in
> SENSORS_SUBFEATURE_IN_INPUT / SENSORS_SUBFEATURE_FAN_INPUT /
> SENSORS_SUBFEATURE_TEMP_INPUT
>
> Ideally my first naive code should just work for simple applications which only
> want to read the main / _input feature, I haven't checked yet, but I think
> making my initial code work, doesn't match well with the current libsensors
> structure,

Indeed. Features and subfeatures are now separate entities. When I
proposed to do that change a few months ago, nobody objected.

>            so how about adding an "int input_subfeature_number" to the
> sensors_feature struct, so that my original code will work like this:
>
> 	while ((feature = sensors_get_features(name, &nr1))) {
> 		/* ..... */
> 		result = sensors_get_value(name,
> 		 	feature->input_subfeature_number, &val);
>

> Or alternatively a sensors_get_main_value(name, feature, &val) function?

First of all, please note that the main value in question may not
exist. Your code should be ready for it to happen.

My guess was that applications would need to switch on the feature type
anyway, as different types are usually displayed differently, so I
never considered this to be a problem. All of sensors, sensord and
xsensors do, I'm surprised that gkrellm doesn't. How does it display
the proper unit? How does it adjust the number of decimal places?

I am also surprised that you call sensors_get_value() directly in the
loop that discovers the features. Applications which display values
continuously (as opposed to sensors' one-shot) tend to store the
feature numbers at initialization time, and then call
sensors_get_value() on them directly without looping over
sensors_get_features() again.

Adding input_subfeature to struct sensors_subfeature is possible if it
helps you. It should be fairly easy. I'd just like to understand why
gkrellm's needs differ from the 3 applications I've ported myself.

sensors_get_main_value() doesn't sound like a good idea, as it would
require sensors_subfeatue anyway to be efficient.

> Besides that adding a define to sensors.h which can be tested to find out
> against which libsensors version code is compiling would be a good idea too.

As the underlying build system needs to know what library will be used
(for proper linkage), I expected applications to deal with the
different versions on their own. But if you think that a #define in
sensors.h would help, just go ahead, that's fine with me.

--
Jean Delvare