lm-sensors 3.0.0-rc1 has been released!

Hi all,

As announced last week, I released a first release candidate (rc1) of
lm-sensors 3.0.0. The API is supposedly OK now, so it's time for
application authors to try and port their applications to the new
library and send us feedback.

Important changes compared to lm-sensors 2.10:
* lm-sensors 3 only supports kernels 2.6.5 and later.
* It is now a user-space-only package, it no longer contains kernel
  drivers.
* The i2c tools have been moved to a separate package (surprisingly
  named i2c-tools).
* libsensors version was bumped to 4.0.0, as it has a completely new
  API we had to increase the .so version. This new library contains
  no chip-specific knowledge, it assumes that hardware monitoring
  drivers follow the standard sysfs interface.
* The "sensors" binary has temporarily been renamed to "sensors3", so
  that you can keep the old version around for comparison purpose. It
  will be renamed back to "sensors" just before lm-sensors 3.0.0 is
  released.
* sensors.conf is not fully compatible between the old and the new
  library. The lm-sensors 3 package includes a conversion script
  from the old format to the new one.

There's one remaining open task for lm-sensors 3.0.0:
http://www.lm-sensors.org/ticket/2174
Mark, this is yours. If you don't think you'll have the time to
implement it quickly, please move it to milestone 3.0.1.

lm_sensors-3.0.0-rc1.tar.gz is not signed yet. Phil, do you want to
keep signing the archives for the lm-sensors 3 series? If you want to
do it, please proceed. If you prefer that I take over, just say so and
I'll do it.

Notes to application authors:
* The new library has no chip-specific knowledge. As a result, the
  <sensors/chips.h> header file is gone.
* Pretty much all functions of the old API are gone or work
  differently. If you need to test for the new library in some
  configure script, sensors_get_features, sensors_get_all_subfeatures
  and sensors_get_subfeature are good candidates. Alternatively, you
  can test that the libsensors_version string starts with "3." or
  explicitly ask for libsensors.so.4.
* Reloading the configuration file with sensors_init() is no longer
  supported, you need to explicitly call sensors_cleanup() before you
  can call sensors_init() again.
* There's no porting guide available. The new API is so different from
  the old one that you're probably better looking at an application
  using the new API to get an idea how it works. It's not very
  difficult. The "sensors" and "sensord" applications that are part of
  the lm-sensors package have been ported to the new API already, so
  they are good examples. "sensors" in particular is very simple.

I've ported xsensors already, the patch is available here:
http://jdelvare.pck.nerim.net/sensors/xsensors-libsensors4.patch

I'll do the Freshmeat announcement tomorrow.

--
Jean Delvare